Committee Hearing - Hydraulics Use Act of 2019

Sean Manfredi

Committee Hearing - Hydraulics Use Act of 2019

Post by Sean Manfredi » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:50 pm

Welcome, senators. Today we are officially beginning the committee hearing for the Hydraulics Use Act of 2019, authored by Senator Thomas Hensley.

As such, we will get right into things and allow Senator Hensley to provide his opening statement, then follow that with questions and concerns from other committee members.

Senator Hensley, the floor is yours.

Unassigned
An act to add or amend laws regarding the use of hydraulics on public roads

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF SAN ANDREAS DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. SHORT TITLE
  • The act may be cited as the "The Hydraulics Use Act of 2019"
Section 2. DEFINITIONS
  • "Vehicle" shall be defined as, a machine, usually with wheels and an engine, used for transporting people or goods on land, especially on roads.

"Lowrider" shall be defined as, a classical style customized four wheel vehicle which is designed to be lower and closer to the ground compared to other average vehicles.

"Vehicular Hydraulics" shall be defined as, suspensions placed often in a lowrider, a vehicle modified so that its ground clearance is less than its original design, to give extra leverage when encountering harsh road conditions.
Section 3. PURPOSE
  • Hydraulics cause no harm to the driver, civilians on foot nor authorities unless misused to evade law enforcement forces, thus putting a limit to the height of hydraulics would solve this issue.

Hydraulics are criminalized for now, making it an issue for lowriders owners.
Section 4. LAWS
  • Hydraulics may only be installed on lowriders to up the height of the vehicles to encounter harsh road conditions and prevent damages caused by it.

A law is to be added to the penal code named "Misuse of vehicle modifications" which would include the use of illegal modifications in order to obstruct a license plate and everything that falls under "Illegal modifications" as well as the installation of hydraulics for non lowrider vehicles, there's no need for multiple laws.

Those who intend to use hydraulics as a way of eluding public authorities or damage of government and private propertiesare to be issued a citation of no less than $900 USD.

Lowriders may not install hydraulics with the intent of offroading with said vehicle.

Hydraulics may be installed for any other vehicle in public events under authorization from the closest law enforcement department in the state, either verbal or official or with their presence, up to the organizer.

Scott Hansen

Re: Committee Hearing - Hydraulics Use Act of 2019

Post by Scott Hansen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:04 pm

**Thomas Hensley sends a direct nod to Richard Faulkner, he smiles as his voice breaks the silence of the hall**
**Thomas Hensley slowly rises off his seat**
Thomas Hensley says: Thank you, Senator Faulkner.
I was approached by many individuals who are residents of the town of Dillimore and Palomino Creek, in other words..the public. I had it in mind before I was contacted regarding the matter, it has come to my attention that we have three different laws included in the penal code, that are all made for the same matter, which is illegal modifications, the laws are as following, number one is "Installation of a Nitrous System", second is "Installation of Hydraulics" and the third is "Installation of an Illegal Body Kit", it took me some time to think of how the criminalization of Hydraulics has to be adjusted, not completely prohibited, which is what I introduced in the bill. I wish to legalize the installation of hydraulics, also named high suspensions only under a few conditions that are mentioned. I also thought of summing those three laws under one law, which can be named differently as "Installation of illegal modifications" or changed to "Abuse of vehicular modifications" it makes it easier for the average citizen to fully understand and act accordingly to that certain law, I'm happy to answer any questions, thanks.

Sean Manfredi

Post by Sean Manfredi » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 pm

Senator Hensley, thank you for your comments. I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Your bill has a few contradictions. At one point you state that outlawing hydraulics creates a problem for owners of lowrider style vehicles, however, later however you state the sole purpose of installing hydraulics should be to overcome harsh terrain, but later you also go on to say that these modifications should not be used for driving off road. When you are you speaking about lowriders, are you referring to vehicles modified with hydraulics for cosmetic reasons or for pure utility? And what is a valid reason to equip such modifications?

Finally, your point about laws regarding illegal modifications is valid. I believe we could merge these three codes into one law, however, we should take into consideration that use of an illegal body kit carries a lesser potential punishment than use of nitrous oxide or hydraulics.

Scott Hansen

Post by Scott Hansen » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:20 am

Richard Faulkner wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:27 pm
Senator Hensley, thank you for your comments. I have a few questions I'd like to ask.

Your bill has a few contradictions. At one point you state that outlawing hydraulics creates a problem for owners of lowrider style vehicles, however, later however you state the sole purpose of installing hydraulics should be to overcome harsh terrain, but later you also go on to say that these modifications should not be used for driving off road. When you are you speaking about lowriders, are you referring to vehicles modified with hydraulics for cosmetic reasons or for pure utility? And what is a valid reason to equip such modifications?

Finally, your point about laws regarding illegal modifications is valid. I believe we could merge these three codes into one law, however, we should take into consideration that use of an illegal body kit carries a lesser potential punishment than use of nitrous oxide or hydraulics.
Thomas Hensley says: I'm glad somebody's asking questions and I thank Senator Faulkner for doing so, a lowrider is an old model vehicle that is customized to be extremely low in height compared to other vehicles of the same model, either a four or two door. Lowriders tend to be very slow vehicles, for the reason that it's hard for such a vehicle to overcome a hit to a speed bump, riding up a road on a hill, or go over legal dirt paths, which makes a problem for the current and future owners who love to possess such a classic vehicle. Installing high suspensions, that aim to up the height of the vehicle fixes the issue in a blink of an eye, so legalizing it is now beneficial to a certain party but can turn harmful if with others, hence why it's legalization is going to be for only lowriders.
Talking of the reason I call for it's legalization is that for it to be only used with the intention to raise up the height of said vehicles, which is for pure utility as you said mister, I also made mention of the valid reason you asked about, it's legalized so that lowriders can move on public roads, and not go offroading, since it gives them an advantage to law enforcement officers during a chase and puts the actual driver's life at risk.
Moving on to the third point, you're right but a slight adjustment to the punishments won't harm.