Senate Floor

Matt Flores

Senate Floor

Post by Matt Flores » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:02 pm

*Matt Flores enters the Senate Chambers last, calling the Senate to order.*

*Speaker Pro Tempore Matt Flores leads the Senate in the Pledge of Allegiance.*

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

You may be seated.

Good afternoon gentlemen, I'll like to first say congratulations to everyone on our first Senate session. From now on just so everyone knows a new session will be started on the 20th of every month at 12 o'clock.

Moving on, I'll like to congratulate Senator Tyler Shore of the passing of the Haven Act of 2019. While it was a struggle to push the bill through the senator Shore still succeeded.

The lower house decided that San Andreas will now have eleven senatorial districts. With the two new districts, a special election was held and Richard Faulkner will now represent the people in the 10th Senatorial District Richman and Mulholland. When the time comes I'll allow mister Faulkner to introduce himself to the body.

Like I said in the first session, the will for bipartisanship must also be reciprocated from both sides of the aisle. As new freshmen senators, we have the task of setting the stage for the generations to come behind us. Let us be both productive and successful.

I’d like to just take a few moments and share some thoughts with you here today. First of all, thank you. Thank you for all the hard work that you’ve put into the committee period. We’ve made tremendous progress and are really in a very good position to start this session moving forward. This is the first day of a 30-day session, and while it may only last for one month, the work that we do during that one month can affect millions for many, many years. In many ways, when we gather in this hallowed chamber, we are convening the future.

You’ll see on your desk an hourglass, and on that hourglass is a quote from my favorite president, Abraham Lincoln. The quote goes, “The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time.” So I challenge you all, let’s make every single day of this session meaningful, purposeful, and have it lead to accomplishment. Hemingway had a similar view when he wrote, and I always liked this, that “Today is only one day in all the days that will ever be. But what will happen in all the other days that ever come can depend on what you do today.”

So, as we move forward and work hard and focus day by day with these 30 days, let us do so recognizing each other’s value—the value that each of us has in this chamber, one to another, and let us also recognize the value that we have as the San Andreas Senate. . Look around you. These are the people that you are serving with. Each of them has a tremendous story, and each of them brings true value to this process.

Let’s also understand that we are the San Andreas Senate, and while we’re part of the bigger state government, we have a very specific role in how the people of San Andreas are governed. Take pride in that. I take pride in that.

It’s an honor, again, to serve as your speaker, but that’s what I want you to realize I am doing—I am serving you as your president pro tempore. So let’s make every day count this session. Thank you.

Make your constituents proud. The floor is now open!

*Matt Flores slams his gavel.*

Sean Manfredi

Re: Senate Floor

Post by Sean Manfredi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:11 pm

*Richard Faulkner stands up.*

Mr. Flores, I'd like a few minutes to address the body.

Matt Flores

Post by Matt Flores » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:14 pm

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores speaks into the microphone.*

Senator Faulkner is recognized for five minutes.

Sean Manfredi

Post by Sean Manfredi » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:37 pm

I would like to propose the Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Act of 2019. This act aims to decriminalize or reduce the sentences carried for possessing illegal substances with the intent only to use, allowing substance abusers a chance at rehabilitation.

*A copy of the bill is passed to members of the Senate.*
Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Act of 2019: show
Unassigned
An act to amend the current laws regarding illegal substances in the state of San Andreas.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF SAN ANDREAS DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. SHORT TITLE
  • This act may be cited as the Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Act of 2019.
Section 2. DEFINITIONS
  • A "law enforcement agency" is any organization dedicated to enforcing federal or state laws.

A "law enforcement officer" is any deputy sheriff, police officer, state trooper, state agent, or federal agent employed in a law enforcement agency.

An "illegal substance" is any substance currently outlawed or regulated by the San Andreas State Penal Code.

A "substance abuser" is an individual currently using illegal substances for pleasure.

A "distributor" is any individual currently providing illegal substances to others with the goal of making profit.

A "manufacturer" is any individual currently cooking or creating illegal substances with the goal of making profit.
Section 3. PURPOSE
  • Current laws regarding illegal substances seek to punish those who possess them, for whatever reason that may be.

Those convicted of possessing an illegal substance with intent to use are often given prison sentences that remain on one's criminal record and prevent them from obtaining meaningful employment.

Substance abusers are often unable to pursue rehabilitation once they have been convicted.

Substance abusers who are imprisoned contribute to high costs from San Andreas state correctional facilities.
Section 4. AUTHORITY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES
  • Law enforcement officers within the state of San Andreas may not arrest an individual for possession of marijuana, cocaine, or natural substances (i.e the peyote cactus or hallucinogenic mushrooms) unless they have reason to believe the possessor is a distributor or manufacturer of said substance.

Law enforcement officers may legally confiscate these substances from a possessor IF the possessor is being arrested or investigated for another offense, regardless of what their intentions are.

Distributors and manufacturers of these substances may be convicted of possession with intent to distribute under the current San Andreas State Penal Code.

Possession of substances not mentioned above will be punishable by a citation and confiscation of said substances.

Matt Flores

Post by Matt Flores » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:51 pm

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores reads over the bill.*
*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores stands up and speaks into the microphone.*

Congratulation Senator Faulkner on the submission of your first bill, due to the nature of the bill text I won't be assigning this bill a number at this time. During the second session, I'll like to see more conventional bills. Feel free to reevaluate the context of the bill and resubmit it next session.

The floor is now open!

Jimmy Alexander

Post by Jimmy Alexander » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:23 pm

*Jimmy Alexander would slowly stand up and start speaking after nodding at Matt Flores.*

My fellow Senators, we had a long and, I'd say, productive discussion last time about the Safe Haven Act, even though we had different views, I am glad to see that the discussion was done properly and without any incidents.

I would love to propose Liquor License Control Act of 2019 in which we, Senators of The Republican Party, suggest some changes in the current laws and regulations in order to improve businesses within our Counties but also to give individuals rights to establish their own, small businesses, in which they can make home-made liquors such as moonshines.

I have asked the clerk to give y'all the copy of the proposed act, thank you.

*Jimmy Alexander would take a seat as the Senate Clerk would give each Senator a copy of the proposed act.*
Bill No. 12
An act to amend the Act 1 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act of 2019.

THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF SAN ANDREAS DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS:

Section 1. SHORT TITLE
  • This Act may be cited as the "Liquor License Control Act of 2019"
Section 2. DEFINITIONS
  • "The Department of Licensing" referring to the main department and agency tasked with issuing permits in the State of San Andreas.
  • "The San Andreas Bureau of Alcoholic Beverage Control" referring to a branch of the Department of Licensing.
  • "Licensing official" referring to any employee of the Department of Licensing.
  • "Non-licensed alcohol" referring to alcoholic beverages that were not properly registered in the State of San Andreas.
  • "Home-brewing alcohol" reffering to alcoholic beverages made by an individual at its own discretion.
Section 3. PURPOSE
  • The purpose of this Act is to regulate the duties of Department of Licensing when it comes to Liquor Licensing as well to regulate the current "Alcoholic Beverage Control Act 1"
  • This Act also encourages small businessmen to start their own production of home-made alcoholic beverages.
  • This Act also increases the rights of license-holders by giving them right to appeal decision of Department of Licensing and prepare all necessary documentation for inspection.
Section 4. RIGHTS & CHANGES
  • Section III. Point II. of Legal Declaration of Liquor License Application: The liquor license is only valid for the business or individual being applied for.
  • Section III. Point VII. of Legal Declaration of Liquor License Application: Any government official from the Department of Licensing and/or the San Andreas Bureau of Alcoholic Beverage Control may conduct routine business inspections that have to be announced to the owner of the business seven (7) days before conducted, to ensure the safety of the public general.
  • Section III. Point VIII. of Legal Declaration of Liquor License Application: The Department of Licensing is required by law to disclose the reasoning behind removals, and you can appeal this choice. If your license is revoked or removed by the Department of Licensing, you must go through the license application process once again or appeal at the court.
  • Part I. of Alcoholic Beverage Control Act 1, Section I.I: Home-brewing alcohol is prohibited, unless the individual is an owner of a Liquor License.
  • Part II. of Alcoholic Beverage Control Act 1, Section II.I. - II.V.: Business establishments and individuals...
  • Part IV. of Alcoholic Beverage Control Act 1, Section A and Section B: (A) Any establishment or individual that sells alcoholic beverages. (B) Any establishment or individual that offers seating to alcohol consumers.

Matt Flores

Post by Matt Flores » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:41 am

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores reads over the bill.*
*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores stands up and speaks into the microphone.*

Good morning gentlemen, I hope everyone had a great weekend with family and friends. Moving forward Senator Alexander, this bill will be assigned bill number 12. Due to mister Alexander being the sponsor of this bill, I'm temporally placing Senator Magnus King as the chairman over the Standing Committee on Business, Professions, and Economic Development.

This bill will be forwarded to the Standing Committee on Judiciary and Criminal Justice, the Standing Committee on Business, Professions, and Economic Development, and the Standing Committee on Public Safety Oversight. Each committee will have one week from today to vote, produce its committees' findings, and make any changes to the bill.

As per the standing rules of the Senate, upon the committee’s referral of the bill back to the Senate as a whole, debate, and discussion on the bill shall commence for up to three days before the Senate as a whole. After at least one day of discussion, a piece of legislation may be called for a vote at the discretion of the President Pro Tempore, or by the President of the Senate.

Good luck mister Alexander.

The floor is now open!

*Matt Flores slams his gavel.*