[Discussion] Haven Act of 2019

Matt Flores

[Discussion] Haven Act of 2019

Post by Matt Flores » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:21 pm

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores makes the opening statement.*

Good day gentlemen, the Haven Act of 2019 has passed the committee hearing. The purpose of the Haven Act of 2019 is to limit state and local law enforcement agencies involvement in immigration enforcement and to ensure that eligible individuals are able to seek services from and engage with state agencies without regard to their immigration status. While on the committee floor, questions were raised by the Republican party about how the Haven Act will restrict law enforcement agencies from conducting their day-to-day operations. The state of San Andreas doesn't currently have any immigration laws, immigration laws are currently federal. State and local law enforcement agencies don't have jurisdiction to enforce federal law. While I serve as the speaker of this Senate I can ensure all of you that we won't be giving the federal government any of our state funds.

Moving forward, I won't allow the taxes of San Andreas to be used to fund any immigration enforcement. I'll politely ask that if you want to help fund immigration enforcement you can hand in your letter of resignation and run for a position on the United States Senate or run for president.

I'll now reflect on something I said while this bill was in the committee stage. The Haven Act not only protects immigrant adults, but it also protects their children. It is my strongly held belief that all children should be afforded the right to attend school, visit a doctor’s office, or approach a police officer for help in Blueberry or Fort Carson without fearing for their safety. Parents should be able to attend local events, seek medical care and request police assistance for themselves and their children without concern that their families will be torn apart as a result. Forcing undocumented immigrants to clearly racist policies that threaten these central functions of parenting could pose innumerable damage to innocent children.

*Matt Flores pauses and looks around.*

Last night I sat in my living room thinking, what is an immigrant? I grabbed my phone and went to the Merriam-webster and typed it in. I was very shocked when I learned two things: the first thing I learned was that an immigrant is one who comes to a country to take up permanent residence. The second thing I learned was the word immigrant is a noun. Many of you are now thinking, so what it's a noun. Others are thinking hows that important? A noun is a word used to identify any of a class of people, places, or things. Now how do immigrants and nouns tie in? It's very simple, many of us are forgetting that no matter where you're born, you're still a person. So what you're not native to this country, so what you hopped a fence to get here. From 1765 to1783 we fought a war to escape a country that we didn't like. What's the difference?

Not passing this bill is completely heartless. If you have a heart and care about this state, you'll push this bill through. Not passing the Haven Act is a huge slap in the face to the founding fathers of this nation.

As per the standing rules of the Senate, upon the committee’s referral of the bill back to the Senate as a whole, debate, and discussion on the bill shall commence for up to three days before the Senate as a whole. After at least one day of discussion, a piece of legislation may be called for a vote at the discretion of the President Pro Tempore, or by the President of the Senate. During the three day period, amendments may be made to the bill. Amendments proposed by any Member, and agreed to by the bill’s author or co-authors, shall be accepted automatically.

The floor is now open.

*Matt Flores slams his gavel.*

Jimmy Alexander

Re: [Discussion] Haven Act of 2019

Post by Jimmy Alexander » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:11 pm

*Jimmy Alexander would shake his head and let a sigh before speaking*

Dear Senators from both sides, and especially those from The Democratic party.

*Jimmy Alexander would now take a look at The Democratic senators.*

Senator Flores here had a beautiful speech about our history and our men who faught for this beautiful Country, and he forgets that he is a member of the exact same party that was pro-slavery in 1861. So please, do not pull the history card on this, Senator Flores.

Of course this bill passed the Committee as we, in The Republican Party, predicted. Senator Cunningham did his best to show other Committee members /huge/ issues of this bill, unfortunately, he was the minority. Let's say this bill doesn't restrict law enforcement officials in their daily duties, let's say that immigrants are people, human beings, as they are, and I agree with that, however there is something else, my fellow Democrats.

Mister Flores, immigrants, according to law, are not people who jump fences and come from other countires, no, that's completely wrong definition. Immigrants /are/ people who enter any country without properly reporting themselves upon entering nor signing any documents. United States were made of immigrants, but all of us became Americans at one point, and anyone can do that by applying for green card and passing the screenings. But if they enter without applying or passing the screenings? We can simply let any terrorist or rapist in the Country. However, you Democrats went even further, you want them and their children have access to health care and education? And who is paying for that? Americans! Because the immigrants did nothing but enter our country illegally! Until the immigrant becomes American legally he must be interrogated and deported immediately!

And at the end, when I was listening to you, Senator Flores, when you said we can propose amendments, I was trying to think of any amendment we can actually make here. But there is /none/ as this whole bill is something that can't even pass in third world countries.

*Jimmy Alexander would slightly hit the table with his right palm and take a seat - obviously frustrated.*

Matt Flores

Post by Matt Flores » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:37 pm

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores stands up, eyeing Jimmy Alexander.*

Senator Alexander, last I checked republicans are supporters of small government. Supporters of limited federal government intervention. The state of San Andreas doesn't have immigration laws. Immigration is currently a federal problem, I don't know how many times I have to say it. You said until an immigrant becomes American legally he must be interrogated and deported immediately. Even if I agreed with that, it's not the job of our local and state agencies to do that. That's the job of the federal government. Period.

Also to enlighten you, no sitting senator in any state has made the comment about the democratic party once supporting slavery. You know why? Because most sitting senators know American history, everyone knows the parties flipped at one point. If you wanna continue to make dense comments be my guest, but you won't do it on this floor.

Clayton Cunningham

Post by Clayton Cunningham » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:07 pm

*Clayton Cunningham nods towards Jimmy Alexander as he then looks around the room before speaking*

We have to be prepared to talk honestly and without fear about this important and very sensitive bill. For instance, we have to listen to the concerns that working people, our forgotten working people, have over the record pace of immigration and it impacts on their jobs, wages, housing, schools, tax bills, and general living conditions. These are valid concerns expressed by decent and patriotic citizens from all backgrounds, all over. We also have to be honest about the fact that not everyone who seeks to join our country will be able to successfully assimilate.

*Clayton Cunningham turns his gaze towards Tyler Shore*

Senator Tyler Shore, for instance, talks constantly about he fears that families will be separated, but he's not talking about the American families who have been permanently separated from their loved ones because of a preventable homicide, because of preventable death, because of murder. No, he's only talking about families who come here in violation of the law. We need to treat everyone living or residing in our country with great dignity.

*Pauses as he takes a sip of his water*

Our greatest compassion must be for our American citizens. Our veterans are the ones who need our help the most they need our protection because they protected us, they served our country risking their lives not thinking about them that's heartless our own veterans! While we are debating about this Safe Heaven act we should spend our time in a Safe Haven act for our veterans.

Tyler Shore

Post by Tyler Shore » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:31 pm

*Tyler Shore would breathe in deeply prior to speaking*

Many of you are natural born citizens of the United States, so allow me to enlighten you. A large portion of immigrants that apply for a /green-card/ or temporary residency within the United States are denied. Along with the most recent presidential administration, immigration application denial rates have climbed over 37 percent. Those that are lucky enough to get accepted are subject to many rigorous screenings, exams and etc.. This process can take months if not years and cost money, and even after all this there is no guarantee that they will be granted residency. This is frustrating for immigrant families that are trying to escape the terror in their home countries. I am baffled as to why you believe they are so different that they should not be granted a chance to pursue the basic rights granted under the U.S Constitution; life, liberty and pursuit of happiness.

Mr. Cunningham let me remind you again that majority of the immigrants that come to the United States do it simply in search of a better life. Let me also remind you that far more violent crimes are committed by those that hold legal status in the United States, than those that do not. Far more hate crimes, and acts of violence are committed by United States citizens than any other group. Under this logic shouldn't we be interrogating and deporting Americans? Why should we target an entire group based on the mishaps of a single member? Lastly, please do tell how you believe a wrong will right a wrong? How will separating innocent families right the wrongs committed by the immigrants that have separated our families?

If you would have taken the time to do a bit of research you would have noticed that the Democratic Party fully supports veterans. We believe that veterans should be treated with the utmost respect for their selfless-service towards our nation. However if the Republican Party are such proud veterans supporters, it raises concerns as to why they have /YET/ to propose a bill in their support? Why is that? If veterans are your main priority why haven't you done anything to help them yet?

Jimmy Alexander

Post by Jimmy Alexander » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:36 pm

*Jimmy Alexander would say a few supporting words to Senator Clayton Cunningham before standing up.*

*Jimmy Alexander would then take a look at Senator Tyler Shore and then prepare his papers before speaking.*

I like how Senator Shore is shifting the story towards the Veterans and trying to blame The Republicans for this, but I have to remind you, Senator Shore, we're discussing a bill that will increase unsafety within our borders.

Of course the current federal administration has increased safety screenings upon applying for green card, because previous Democratic administration was letting everyone in. Americans became minority in Texas, New Mexico, Nevada, but you'll say that's not true, and you're talking about statistics. The statistics are /wrong/, Senator Shore, because we can't count those who did not even sign one paper in the United States, so spare me the numbers, if you want real numbers, start catching illegal immigrants and then do the statistics.

At the end of this bill it says it will not apply to immigrants that are charged with felonies.

*Jimmy Alexander would take a look at all the senators before speaking once again.*

That /means/, my fellow Senators, that an immigrant has to /murder/, /rape/ or /kidnap/ someone before he or she can be detained and interrogated. In stead of making the bill that will stop anyone from even thinking that way, you have created a bill that will /stop/ our local authorities from interrogating illegal immigrants.

Once again, in your replica to Senator Cunningham, you said most of the people get denied from applications. What does that mean? You're encouraging those who get denied to just "jump the fence" or maybe do it at first without applying?

Our message here is clear, /everyone and anyone/ who wants to enter United States and our Counties /has/ to apply for green card and get accepted. If that individual can't obey this simple rule of applying for green card, you actually expect them to obey all our outher rules? If this bill passes, you'll send a message to all immigrants that they can just void all our laws and do whatever they want until they get charged for felonies.

All you are saying is ,/immigrants/, go ahead and murder our children, maybe then The Democratic Party, a Christian party as Senator Flores would say, might actually withdraw this bill!

Matt Flores

Post by Matt Flores » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:07 pm

*President Pro-Tempore Matt Flores stands up, with a fant smirk. *

Senator Alexander, I hear you and look I admire your compassion for this issue. Here's the reality of things, immigration is an issue I'm sure both sides can agree to that. How we handle immigration is entirely different and I acknowledge that.

*Matt Flores grabs a sheet of paper from a Senate worker. *

Now it's time to do a bit of fact-checking. First thing first, Senator Shore didn't bring veterans into this discussion, Senator Cunningham did when he stated our veterans are the ones who need our help the most they need our protection because they protected us. The Senate Clerk can correct me if I'm wrong.

Furthermore, Senator Alexander, you stated that the current federal administration has increased safety screenings upon applying for a green card because previous Democratic administration was letting everyone in. That also is wrong, I'm not sure how long you've been following immigration but I've been following it my whole like. President Obama or the previous democratic administration deported more immigrants than the Trump Administration and that's a fact. Period.

In addition to that, you stated that an immigrant has to commit murder, rape, or kidnapping to be deported and that's just not true. The Haven Act says a felony. Not sure if you're familiar with the current San Andreas Penal Code but a felony is not only murder or rape.

The statistics aren't wrong, the statistics are coming from the FBI. May I remind you all that the FBI has no reason to lie about crime statistics.

For the last time, state and local law enforcement agencies don't have federal jurisdiction. Even without this bill state and local law enforcement agencies in our state can't arrest someone from not being a citizen. That's a federal crime, immigration is not a violation of the standing San Andreas Penal Code. Period.

John Ressler

Post by John Ressler » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:21 pm

**Magnus King nods towards Matt, slowly standing up as he would tap his index finger onto the mic for a mic-check.**

Good day, gentlemen. First of all, I would like to give utmost respect for the concerns that Senator Cunningham has brought up concerns regarding this bill going through.

People come to our southern border from Mexico and Central and South America. They know crossing our border is a violation of American law, but they still chose to do it because of them knowing that there is a soft spot for them to abuse our system under Due Process and Equal Protection Clause. Immigration raises various types of concerns that can include sovereignty, security, and identity. The immigrants are considered a threat to national security because of their presumptive loyalties rest on foreign nations to where they just seek this country for aid to their well-being through working in this country illegally. We are allowing these so-called immigrants who you want to give rights, the same ones that are taking the opportunity away from our citizens. We’re not here to babysit anyone, Senators. Illegal immigration hurts Americans workers, burdens American taxpayers and undermines public safety. In addition, places enormous strains on local schools, hospitals, and communities in general, taking precious resources away from the poorest Americans who need them most.

**Magnus King takes a brief second to catch his breath before speaking again.**

Let’s take a brief moment to think of ourselves as the bank. Now you may ask, what does a bank have anything to do with this? Well, let’s see to give you a picture of how a nation and bank are similar. A bank is a place where they take in money funds, checks, credits, etc to keep for safe being while distributing the money to consumers. A bank also gives out loan to people who are in need of support, which can be seen similar to immigrants. We’re investing so many of our resources to non-citizens that for one are putting for regular citizens lives and jobs in danger. A loan is meant to be given back with interest built upon that and if they don’t pay the loan back then the nation as a whole faces a huge deficit to where a recession phase happens and ultimately inflation. This concept is similar to an immigrant status because I’m stressing over the same fact over and over again, which is that we are giving resources that can be used on the CITIZENS that do need it because they should be our number one concern. We are the terminology used here, which is called a “Free Rider”. A free rider is someone who takes advantage of resources granted to them for free and doesn’t actually have to do anything, but just find ways to cheat the system as a whole. Despite this, immigration policies continue to put our lives at stake to where we have to live in fear. From worries about lowering wages to terrorism.

American taxpayers are supposed to feel obligated to finance the gathering and identification of the remains. Not only that, American taxpayers are supposed to gather and have been doing it in many parts of the country to stand up for their rights to limit these kinds of acts to not be accomplished.

**Magnus King reaches for his water with his dominant hand, taking a small sip.**

The last point, I would like to bring up is on Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) that was utilized by the opposers for a long time to allow immigrants to abuse the system to gather, through the equal protection and due process clause. DACA rescission violates due process clause because the DACA recipients did not get the opportunity to be heard before their interests were revoked. In result, this program was removed due to the various constitutional violations this program caused. DACA rescission is a step towards enforcing immigration laws aimed “to ensure the safety and security of the American people” according to our federal Attorney General Session.

Let us all take a minute to think about the doings of this act to go through where we will be putting our economy in a deficit to where opportunities will be taken away from our citizens. There would be fear created within our communities for possibilities of higher drug usage, rapes, and crime. This is not the way of our roots folks so please let’s not start.

Daniel Mattis

Post by Daniel Mattis » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:44 pm

*Mattis would breathe in deeply prior to speaking.*
To begin with gentlemen, I'll like to say I have sat and listened to everyone's point of view on this issue and I respect them. I'm a Texas native I was bored and raised for the most part in Harris County, Texas. Border security has been an issue I have dealt with for most of my life. In Texas, border security and immigration is a leading issue. For most of my life I have been studying law, I was a Judge Advocate General in the Marine Corps, and I've been in private practice for a while. Some people might even call me a constitutionalist. When it comes to my point of view on the Haven Act, I'm coming from two places one being, the letter of the law and the other being what does my faith say about this?

*Mattis looks around the room.*

I'll start with the letter of the law, the Haven Act to my understanding based on the text of the bill is to limit state and local law enforcement agencies involvement in immigration enforcement. The text of the bill /doesn't/ say immigrants are free to roam our state that or immigrants can get free health care. The bill says we won't allow our states law enforcement agencies to enforce immigration laws. To that, based on the context if the bill I get the impression that sure, federal law enforcement agencies are free to enter San Andreas and round up who they want in regards to immigration. Earlier I referenced that I'm a constitutionalist, I read the letter of law different from the average eye. While I consider myself to be a rather center leaning democrat, I'm a huge supporter of the separation of powers. I don't want to see state funding spent on doing the job of federal agencies. The federal government has enough money to fund their own agencies and complete task without our help.

*Mattis takes a sip of water before speaking again.*

Moving on to my faith. Many of you may or may not know but I'm a Christian. I grew in a small Baptist church in my Texas town where we sang hymns and clapped our hands. Leviticus is one of my favorite books of the Bible, in this book most of its chapters consist of God's speeches to Moses, which God commands Moses to repeat to the Israelites. This morning before coming in I received an alert on my phone from a Bible app I have that sends me a notification of the verse of the day. Today I received a message that said "When a stranger resides with you in your land, you shall not oppress the stranger. The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you.” That came from Leviticus chapter 19. My faith believes in helping your brothers and sisters. When someone is in need you help them out no matter the situation. If God can give his only son to save the world from sin, why can't we open the door and let our neighbors in?

*Mattis wipes a tear from his eye.*

Look, our immigration system is broken, and everybody knows it. Families who enter our country the right way and play by the rules watch others flout the rules. Business owners who offer their wages good wages benefits see the competition exploit undocumented immigrants by paying them far less. All of us take offense to anyone who reaps the rewards of living in America without taking on the responsibilities of living in America. And undocumented immigrants who desperately want to embrace those responsibilities see little option but to remain in the shadows or risk their families being torn apart.

Meanwhile, don’t let a disagreement over a single issue be a deal breaker on every issue. That’s not how our Democracy works.

I'm not saying cheating the system is right. If you cheat the system you should be deported, but we have departments for that. This bill isn't saying let everyone in San Andreas, the bill says San Andreas departments won't help. That's all.

Scripture tells us, we shall not oppress a stranger, for we know the heart of a stranger. We were strangers once, too.

What makes us Americans is our shared commitment to an ideal, that all of us are created equal, and all of us have the chance to make of our lives what we will. That’s the country our parents and grandparents and generations before them built for us. That’s the tradition we must uphold. That’s the legacy we must leave for those who are yet to come.

Thank you and my God bless you all.

Jimmy Alexander

Post by Jimmy Alexander » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:55 pm

*Jimmy Alexander chuckles firmly at Mattis' statements as he'd then stand up and speak.*

Senator Mattis, when I listen to you it's like I listen to a so-called "Southern Democrat" or what it is today, a Republican.

On one hand, you are right, Senator Mattis, let's say that this act is about limiting law enforcement duties. And I'll read the name of this act once again.

*Jimmy Alexander would take a deep breath and a good look around the Senate.*

An act to limit the cooperation of local and state law enforcement agencies with federal authorities to enforce immigration law. It says in the title, to /limit/ the /cooperation/ of local and state agencies when it comes to immigration law. Are we going to announce Confederacy soon, once again? Are we going to limit transportation in between our states, distribution of our home-made products? Are we going to limit each and every federal law there is?

You might say I am over-reacting, that this is just a bill about limiting law enforcement agencies. Do you, Senators from The Democratic Party, know the procedure of getting federal law enforcement agencies in the County to enforce immigration law, and do you know how much it costs for federal agencies to get involved? Let the local law enforcement officials handle the immigrants within our Counties, and the money, you guys would spend on calling federal officers because you don't want local deputies involved in this, spend that money on improving businesses, health care and the veterans' life, it appears that the veterans will become a topic in this discussion.

Local law enforcement agencies should, and they /must/ be able to enforce federal law, especially when it comes to immigration, because, if you waste resources and more important, time, on getting federal agencies into this, you might cause a terrible accident. I am not saying that each immigrant is a rapist or killer, but he certainly is a felon and criminal since he has not applied for the citizenship and went through the process. Local law enforcement agencies should, within their jurisdictions, detain the immigrant and then continue the process.

Senator Mattis, our deputies are not dumb, they can do this job as much as the federal officers can. And I use this seat to encourage you, senator Mattis, to follow that beautiful book that we call Bible, in which the God gave us rules we should follow to go in heaven, and if we don't follow the God's rules, well, I am not even going to think about the consequences.

*Jimmy Alexander would say the last sentence while looking at Senator Mattis and would then nod and seat down.*